Review: One Week Girlfriend by Monica Murphy

Released On: January 10, 2013
17202452
One Week Girlfriend
by Monica Murphy
Book 1 of the One Week Girlfriend Quartet

4 stars

I remember when ONE WEEK GIRLFRIEND first made rounds among the bookblogs I followed, people were instantly buzzing about it. The blurb sounded really good, a departure from the usual damaged-hero-meets-sweet-girl story (not that there's anything wrong with that storyline. I'm a sucker for those as well! ^_~). This time, it's the other way around. Our girl Fable is the one with the unsavory reputation, while Drew is the golden boy.

Now we have the temporary, make-believe relationship. Well given that this is a contemporary romance, we all know where that's headed *wink-wink!*

The general story of One Week Girlfriend is honestly predictable. Nevertheless, Monica Murphy writes in such a way that you can't help but want to find out what happens next even if you do have an inkling already what the next few pages hold. The prologue was written so well, any romance junkie will be definitely be hooked.

So let that be a warning...!! Don't read the prologue if you don't have time to read the rest of it because it will be difficult to let go of your reader!

OK, back to the book. Monica's writing made me cared for Fable and Drew, more so for Fable because of her brother Owen. Oh Owen! His and Fable's mother... let's just say she's neglectful and incompetent. My heart breaks the most for him because as a kid, he's still hoping for the love of his mother even though he hides that innermost wish from the world. He's only thirteen years old in this story, but you can just tell he is poised to have his own book. (And he really will, yehey! The fourth book in the series, Four Years Later, is all about him! *happy dance*)

But I digress, so back to our main characters..

I admired Fable. She's strong and really keeping things together for her brother's sake. Breaking down isn't an option for her. She can hold her own against Drew's awful stepmother. And don't get me started on the stepmother. At first I thought Drew had it all—being the golden boy and all—but actually, because of this awful, awful woman, he has a deep, dark, traumatic secret that he kept to himself all these years. It was only with Fable that he was able to trust enough and open up about it.

This is quite an emotional book. Not so much as other angsty books, but I think it's mostly because of Fable's don't-care attitude and Drew's determination to bury his past indiscretions.

The second book in this series, Second Chance Boyfriend, will pick up right where One Week Girlfriend ends. Fortunately for readers it's already available because the first book has a bittersweet cliffhanger. I'm sure you'll want to get your hands on the next one right away!

*Huge thanks to the author for providing me with a copy for review! :)



Buy Links: Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Kobo | iTunes

Synopsis:

**Mature situations and sexual content - recommended for ages 17+**

Temporary. That one single word best describes my life these last few years. I’m working at a temporary job until I can finally break free. I’m my little brother’s temporary mother since our mom doesn’t give a crap about either of us. And I’m that temporary girl all the guys want to get with because I give it up so easily. According to the rumors, at least.

But now I’m the temporary girlfriend of Drew Callahan, college football legend and all around golden guy. He’s beautiful, sweet—and he’s hiding way more secrets than I am. He’s brought me into this fake life where everyone seems to hate me. And everyone seems to want something from him. The only thing he seems to want though is…

Me.

I don’t know what to believe anymore. All I know is, I think Drew needs me. And I want to be there for him.

Forever.

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Shoot me a comment below.