Review: Wrecked by Priscilla West

Wrecked (Wrecked, #1)
Wrecked
by Priscilla West
Book 1 of the Wrecked Series

5 stars

This was aptly titled, in my opinion. I had to take a one-day break while reading this book because I was feeling soooo out of sorts. I haven't even reached the "biggest trouble" part of the story yet, the main characters were still on cloud nine. And yet... I couldn't shake the feeling that something bad was going to happen in the next few pages. I got too anxious, plus the fact that I hadn't put down the book in four hours made me decide to take a break.

Actually I was just too chicken to continue too, hahaha! My gut feel turned out to be correct because the latter quarter of the book just about had me clenching my fists in annoyance and frustration.

Let me calm your fears though: there's going to be a sequel! So take all my whining in stride and be assured that there will be an answer to all the questions you might have by the end of this story! Because really, I enjoyed it. =) And I just CANNOT WAIT for Rescued (book 2) to be published!

So now let me address the elephant in the room:

"Wrecked is a lot like Beautiful Disaster."

Yes it is, especially at the very beginning. We have an MMA fighter, Hunter, and a college sophomore, Lorrie, who become very close friends to the amazement of the women population at Arrowhart College. They hang out, get suspected of dating, in honest truth they are attracted to each other but at first they want to remain just friends to avoid problems in the future. Hunter even as a guy best friend, and Lorie a has a girl best friend and roommate.
What's your definition of 'friend'? 
People who enjoy one another's company, who generally enjoy hanging out, talking about random stuff, grabbing food, watching movies, pulling each other out of frozen lakes, you know. Friends. 
So yes, Wrecked does feel so much like Beautiful Disaster; but as you go on with the story, it becomes its own. I started to love it for the story it shared, not because it sounded like another story I love.


Hunter and Lorrie are two people who are, for the lack of a better word, wrecked. I love them and I am so frustrated by them both at the same time. They are wonderful people, really, and they are perfect for each other. The problem is they let their traumas and problems control their lives. What happened to them is nothing to scoff at though... both of them are dealing with something heartbreaking. What annoys me is that they make assumptions about what's going to be better for the other, and in the process they end up hurting each other and themselves.

Ugghhh... I wanted to rip hair!

Speaking of wanting to rip hair, you'll be acquainted with someone named Ada from the middle of the story to the end. She inspires that hair-ripping sentiment so much, let me just say..! I wanted to scream at her the loudest. Next I'll scream at Hunter, and then at Lorrie. Oh, and let's add a guy named Gary, shall we? I liked him a lot, but at the very end he made it at my to-scream-at list.

So... why would you want to read this book if you might get frustrated by it?

Number 1: It is romantic. It really is. There are no grand public gestures or something. Just little gestures like tucking hair behind her ear, texting, the little (and big) jealousies. It also has cute, and sweet! Hunter may be a big hulk of an MMA fighter, but he is a sweetheart. He likes kittens! I currently have three chubby, furry little wrigglers myself, so I kept on thinking, "awww..!"

Number 2: It is sexy. MMA fighter: check! (duh! LOL) Hot kisses: check! 4-day marathon: check!!! I don't need to spell out what kind of marathon that is, right? *wink2!*

Number 3: It has kittens. I really enjoyed all scenes with mommy Lorrie, daddy Hunter, and all six baby kittens!

Number 4: It is angsty. Why am I listing this as a positive attribute? Well, simply because it makes the HEA all the more satisfying. Despite of the huge revelations at the end, I am still very, very hopeful that the sequel will end perfectly for Hunter and Lorrie!

Dear Ms. Priscilla West,
     I am just itching for the sequel...! If only I have the wardrobe to Narnia, I'd lend it to you so that when you come out, you'd have finished the second book and I can start reading it immediately!


Buy Links: Amazon | B&N

Synopsis:

“There would be no happy ending for us. He was too damaged. I was too broken.”

Two years ago, Lorrie’s mother was murdered. But that wasn’t the end of it. Reeling from the tragedy, Lorrie’s father spiraled into alcohol, depression, and finally suicide.

The two most important people in Lorrie’s life are both gone but she’s still alive.

Trying to recover from the tragedy, Lorrie returns to campus, ready to pick up the pieces of her life. All Lorrie wants is to get back to “normal.”

Then she meets Hunter. The man, the legend, “the Hammer.”

Hunter is a cage fighter who takes on every fight like he’s got nothing to lose. His life is a tangled mess of girls, booze, and fist fights. And while it may seem like he’s got a devil-may-care attitude, he’s fighting a private cage-match with a monster he can’t defeat.

Lorrie knows that Hunter is the exact type of guy she should stay away from, especially in her fragile state, but Hunter has other ideas.

As Hunter and Lorrie grow closer together, will they be able to overcome their pain and heal each other? Or will they both end up wrecked?


I received an ARC of Wrecked from Blackbird Publishing through NetGalley.

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Shoot me a comment below.