Review: Ice Games (Games #3) by Jessica Clare

18270671

Zara Pritchard is a has-been. Once an Olympic darling, she's been reduced to skating in a dinosaur costume and giving lessons at the local mall...which is why she's excited when she's offered a chance to sub on a TV show, Ice Dancing with the Stars. If she wins the show, this could be the break she needs.

There's just one problem - her partner.

Ty Randall is a MMA bad boy looking to fix his image problem. Sure, he's got the nickname of 'Ty the MMA Biter'. Sure, he might have bit a guy's nose off in the cage. But putting him on a reality TV show? A skating reality TV show? He's not interested. He'll do the minimum to fix his image and call it a day.

But when wash-out meets flame-out, sparks fly and tempers flare. And Ty and Zara start to realize that maybe this partnership might be just as steamy off the ice as on it...






3 stars

I am a huge fan of the first book in this series, Wicked Games. It was fun, exciting, the games and challenges were described really well in my opinion. It had romance, comedy, a bit of conflict, and most especially an HEA.

While these elements are still present in Ice Games, they seem to come up a bit short. I felt like it could do with five more chapters. The blurb really caught my attention and set my expectations high. 1/4 into the book though, I could already tell that it won't match the same level of enthusiasm I had with Wicked Games.

The characters are likeable, and though they are polar opposites of each other, their pairing makes a lot of sense. I loved how Zara and Ty clashed at the beginning. Those scenes were really fun to read. Ty started off with a too-good-for-this vibe. He was rude and inconsiderate to people around him. Zara on the other hand was dedicated. She trained to become an Olympic ice skater as a child, but thanks to a huge mistake thanks to a badly-dented ego, her promising career went down the drain. You can see where her drive to prove herself is coming from, and I loved that she didn't take crap from Ty.

As for the "games" themselves... I was left wanting more. They only performed three times, which was too few to satisfy me and really pull me into the "games" mindset. With Wicked Games I was really there on that island with the characters! In this story I didn't feel as involved, which is sad because the story had great potential. Zara and Ty aside, there are many promising secondary characters who deserved more page time. I think they would have made the story more interesting and more fun to read.

oh well...

I'm still open to read more of Jessica Clare's books though. I like the way she writes. She can come up with really fun banter and her characters have chemistry.

(Thank you to Jessica Clare for providing me with a copy for review!)

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Shoot me a comment below.