Review: Tangled Web by Jade C. Jamison

Tangled Web (Tangled Web, #1)

Publication Date: April 17, 2011
Book 1 of the Tangled Web Series

Synopsis: 

A Steamy Heavy Metal Novella

Katie Logan has had a secret crush on her best friend Johnny Church since high school, but he's never looked at her the same way. So when Johnny—now a famous rock-and-roll guitarist—comes home to visit, Katie can't bring herself to tell him she's engaged to be married. She should have, though, because she soon discovers that maybe the attraction is mutual…

Warning: Not for the faint of heart! This book contains explicit sex, drugs, and rock and roll, not to mention a few eff bombs here and there. Proceed with caution.

My Review: ♥♥♥ 3 stars

I have read Jade C. Jamison's Bullet series, and I loved them, especially FULLY AUTOMATIC. When I was given the opportunity to read and review this series, I jumped at the chance because I was curious at how Jade's writing was earlier down the road (Tangled Web is one of her earliest books).

I can definitely see the writing that I loved in the Bullet Series here in TANGLED WEB. The entire book is easy to read, the dialogues and the scenes flow smoothly, there's humor but also conflict for both hero and heroine to work out on.

The story itself doesn't feel as developed as her later books though. It's a bit too short for the story, and there were some issues that I thought to be too conveniently ironed out in the end (ex: Katie's deciding to write instead of teach so she can be with Johnny as he travels).

I'm not a huge fan of Katie as well. I hate it when a character strings two people around, as though one is an insurance in case the other doesn't work out. [Cheating plots have always displeased me, and so I wasn't able to sympathize with her at all when she got into Johnny's bad side. I kept thinking, "you had it coming, girl". If it were the other way around, I'd be thinking and feeling the same way about Johnny too.]

There is one scene though that was so sweet, romantic and exciting that it almost, almost made me forget about the whole Katie thing. I squealed like a highschooler who just got noticed by her crush, LOL! Watch out for it: when Katie and her friend joins a game on the radio station. That was my super favorite scene, and I'll definitely remember it as one of the cutest, most toe-curling scenes ever!
This is a novella with quite a meaty story packed in it. That is a good thing; however, it also kind of diluted the intensity of the story for me. It's not a bad read, but it's not something I'll really be gushing over (well, except for that, my, one favorite scene!). Like I said though, this is one of the author's earlier books and you can really see that she has just gotten better and better along the way. =)

Buy Links


CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Shoot me a comment below.