Review: The Deal by Elle Kennedy

The Deal (Off-Campus, #1)Publication Date: February 24, 2015
Book 1 of the Off-Campus Serie
s

Synopsis:

She's about to make a deal with the college bad boy... 

Hannah Wells has finally found someone who turns her on. But while she might be confident in every other area of her life, she's carting around a full set of baggage when it comes to sex and seduction. If she wants to get her crush's attention, she'll have to step out of her comfort zone and make him take notice…even if it means tutoring the annoying, childish, cocky captain of the hockey team in exchange for a pretend date.

...and it's going to be oh so good. 

All Garrett Graham has ever wanted is to play professional hockey after graduation, but his plummeting GPA is threatening everything he's worked so hard for. If helping a sarcastic brunette make another guy jealous will help him secure his position on the team, he's all for it. But when one unexpected kiss leads to the wildest sex of both their lives, it doesn't take long for Garrett to realize that pretend isn't going to cut it. Now he just has to convince Hannah that the man she wants looks a lot like him.

My Review: ★★★★★ 5 stars!!!!

Oh I love, I love, I love this book! :) It's an old school college romance, the type that makes you smile, curls your toes, squeal and sigh, and basically just make you feel light and really good. When I was done reading it, I had a huge smile on my face and felt like hugging my kindle. The feeling reminded me of when we watched Frozen and the entire cinema just cheered and clapped when the credits rolled. It's that good!

The plot of THE DEAL isn't new, actually. Like I said, it's old school. Popular jock meets smart, unpopular girl. She tutors him, they become friends, and eventually become more. There are a couple other subplots that aren't exactly original. For some reason though, the combination of all these old-school romance recipes resulted in a charming book that will end up in my longtime favorites!

The main characters, Hannah and Garett, are very likable. They also have chemistry, which is a win! Too many books these days have the falling in love or falling into bed within the first 10-25% of the story. THE DEAL took its time to build up the friendship and then the relationship between these two characters.
It's messed up how much I'm enjoying this. Just hanging out with a girl without worrying about how I'm going to get rid of her or that she's going to start making demands of me.
In the span of ten days, Garett went from being a stranger to a nuisance to a friend, but that's as far as I'm willing to take it. I don't want to date him, no matter how good a kisser he is.

What was wonderful is that the time it took for this buildup was never boring. That time period was filled with funny, witty, and comfortable conversations, text messages, and playful companionship. I did not get impatient at all, like going, "just get it on now!" Nope, there was none of that. I relished the friendship, tutor-tutee stage.
How did I go so long without noticing you, damn it? Why did it take seeing a stupid A on your midterm to make me notice?

Now when romance started to get into the picture, things start to become steamier. That was what brought this novel up to the level of steamy, contemporary romance. Without the steam factor this could very well be a YA novel. I would have liked it well enough if it were less steamier, but of course I like it better because it is! *wink2*

THE DEAL is a rare.. deal. =D It takes careful writing for familiar story lines to still feel very engaging, unique and even exciting. I don't think Elle Kennedy has ever been worried about this thing even, this is just me extrapolating! It is however the reason why I'm so impressed by this book and why this will definitley be stored in my reread and top fave piles.

If you love a good romance, one that will make you feel really good afterwards, read this book! I highly and confidently recommend it. Many of you will love it, I'm sure! Add it to your TBRs!


Buy Links


CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Shoot me a comment below.